Sunday, October 3, 2010

Statement of purpose

I resisted the idea of starting a blog for a long time because I saw them either as tools to indulge people who don't have anything interesting enough to say to hold an actual audience captive, or tools for people with lots of really cool things to say to have their voice heard by a wider audience.

I personally didn't, and still don't, believe I fall into either of those categories. Rather what made me change my mind is that I started reading a few blogs. I found information posted on blogs in the form of book reviews, new perspectives on research, politics, and philisophy, and many other subjects that piqued my interest.

After consuming a certain about of information from these sites, I finally came to the conclusion that I may have something to contribute to the discussion. So if you were randomly searching the internet and bumbled across this page, you are exactly my target audience, and I hope you find something useful here.

So, what should be expected in terms of posts? I will try to keep my posts short and informative, although I realize both terms are relative. I will not try to keep my posts confined to a certain theme, otherwise I may start feeling obligated to comment on things I don't care about. Instead, I will write on things that are interesting to me, regardless of the subject area.

What do I want from you? Sure, you can read and not comment. I rarely if ever comment on any blogs I read. But, if you feel so inclined, even if you have no idea who I am, please comment. Comment on my thoughts. Comment with your thoughts. Comment on my writing abilities -- part of the reason I am doing this is in hopes that they improve. I can not guarantee that I will respond or even read your comment every time, but perhaps someone else cruising along on the WWW will find your comment and find it more interesting or enlightening than my original post, and I certainly hope that happens from time to time.

Who do I expect to read this post? I guess that will be people who are confused by later posts, or are for some strange reason interested in why I started blogging. If you are confused, I apologize, and I hope you find your answers. If you are just curious, well, I hope this did it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment